About Me

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
so salty pieces of coral from surfing Hawaii in the 60's and 70's getting reef pounded living in my body fall through my skin from time to time!

sailing to Oahu

Jimi Hendrix was playing on Oahu. I had never sailed. Surfed Mexico, California, Hawaii! Aw, how hard could it be to sail 90-110 miles from Kauai to Oahu? Piece of cake, right? Remember it was the 60's! This is so bad. We thought we were looking at Kaiena Point,Ohau, knowing we weren't going to make the concert! But at least we were in site of Oahu-wrong! Coy, who had never sailed before, me,who had never sailed before, jeff and Abbott etc. We were looking at the sleeping giant on Kauai! We had done three-sixty's in the night! We sailed on the only tri-marran I've ever sailed on ( except later ) in my life, missed the concert! It was at the Waikiki Shell Ampitheater ( Moon eclipsed . We finally made Nawilwili Harbor! The Skipper tried to give us his boat saying, " It's trying to kill me"! We watched him go stark raving mad not even realising that had we got caught in the channel current we were on our way to Japan! Remember it was the 60's and we were going to see Hendrix. I left out some of the good stuff but I will make up for it later!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Whangarei, New Zealand

       A right turn and up this river we went.  After low tide mud swill prop turning as we went uphill
we arrived with, " Windigo " intact.  A Roberts 45, still alive on our way to Auckland.  The " Bay of Islands was a thing of the past as was, Dove and Nelson Island, where " The Duke" provided libation for a sailing event the his " Duchess" , in a race yelled, " give way" , I jibed unto a lee shore so that he might win. another race.  I didn't make the point on the jibe but we survived.  I had right of way and was totally committed to the ram.  We are a heavy, well built boat with a solid crew!  I gave way because I am a sailor and can!
      I got my hair cut in Whangarei
.  I think it was my last haircut.  I have long hair that doesn't grow any more or any less.  My beard I trim but not recently.  Now is hiding bad teeth and a great smile.  So long ago
was New Zealand but Captain Cook would say also, " Long Ago ".
      How many people can pronounce Whangarei?  ( fong-ger-ray?  It's like living in Hawaii! ( ha-vy-ee).
It is a quiet little town connected to the ocean.  Old gun turrents in place to protect New Zealand from the Japanese invasion that Australia new was coming. Darwin knows!  The implaced gun bunker is like Point Loma in San Diego and is a landmark to introduce a sailing vessel to the entrance of the river  that ls the way to Whangarei.  I call it the gun tower approach.  Better than leads!
      We stayed five days and enjoyed a quite little inland town that really isn't and doesn't relate to sailors.
It's to far up the river to be comfortable and if one had a choice, Auckland and " The Bay of Islands ", have much more to offer.  Still, one must see it all to form an opinion!  I hold back on those because tomarrow is another day.  Change isn't spare but it is of the essence!  I don't burn bridges that I may have to cross again.
It's not a good idea to hold on to things to tightly, it stunts growth!  Ha!   AARGGugHHHH, matey!

No comments:

Blog Archive