About Me

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
so salty pieces of coral from surfing Hawaii in the 60's and 70's getting reef pounded living in my body fall through my skin from time to time!

sailing to Oahu

Jimi Hendrix was playing on Oahu. I had never sailed. Surfed Mexico, California, Hawaii! Aw, how hard could it be to sail 90-110 miles from Kauai to Oahu? Piece of cake, right? Remember it was the 60's! This is so bad. We thought we were looking at Kaiena Point,Ohau, knowing we weren't going to make the concert! But at least we were in site of Oahu-wrong! Coy, who had never sailed before, me,who had never sailed before, jeff and Abbott etc. We were looking at the sleeping giant on Kauai! We had done three-sixty's in the night! We sailed on the only tri-marran I've ever sailed on ( except later ) in my life, missed the concert! It was at the Waikiki Shell Ampitheater ( Moon eclipsed . We finally made Nawilwili Harbor! The Skipper tried to give us his boat saying, " It's trying to kill me"! We watched him go stark raving mad not even realising that had we got caught in the channel current we were on our way to Japan! Remember it was the 60's and we were going to see Hendrix. I left out some of the good stuff but I will make up for it later!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

a portion ( log ) serious ship of war before WW11

This ship certainly seemed to be a "prize winner " in the

eyes of the world, for we were commissioned to take the San

Francisco Naval Eeserves to Santa Cruz to take part in a

Water Carnival at that place.

One peculiar tiling that occasioned a great deal of remark

was the fact that it invariably took the " Olympia " two days

to make the trip between Mare Island and 'Frisco, a distance of

thirty miles.

On the 12th of June we anchored off Washington Street

wharf and the tugs '' Gov. Markham " and " Irwin " brought

the reserves on board. They were mustered on the superstruc-

l as they filed over the gangway it

seemed to our poor, bewildered minds, as though every man

of them was a petty officer of some description.

The balance of the day was spent in portioning quarters

for the dry-land sailors, about to take this perilous trip on the

mighty deep. They were assigned to the starboard, and the

regulars to the port side of the gun-deck, for sleeping quarters.

But that night the fun (?) began. They paid no attention

to " pipe-down " or the master-at- arms' order to "turn in," but

kept up a continual chatter which, interspersed with the

tramping of the more restless ones pacing overhead and

thinking of mothers and mothers-in-law they were leaving

behind, conduced toward making it a sleepless night for

the regulars. Well, everything, thank goodness, has an

end, and about twelve o'clock or thereabout, they were

induced to " turn in " and invite (and incidentally allow

the others to enjoy), the peace giving sleep which visits the

pillows of the innocent and just. But then you see, there

was so much to tell and such a lot of advice to be given

before morning, that only when their fund of information for

each other had been exhausted did they consider themselves (or

anyone else) entitled to sleep.

And it was just as hard to get them out at " reveille."

After "morning coffee " they " turned to " in patent leathers,

russets and tennis shoes, scrubbing down decks, and were soon

making an onslaught on the paint work and decks which

caused the very "holystones" to shudder and the dirt to disappear

as if by magic. They were workers, and in a short time made

the ship glisten and shine as she had never glistened or shone


associations, so they went hand in hand for a good time.

There was one young man who had the asthma so bad that he

couldn't talk. He was sent to the "sick bay" for medical

advice and received it like a child would a dose of castor-oil,

for the doctor advised him to go ashore and take good care

of himself. Poor fellow, he begged and protested, but never-

theless had to go. You could see the tears of disappointment

coursing down his cheeks, but he was not to be to baffled, and,

nothing daunted, purchased a ticket for Santa Cruz and got

there before us. He came along-side in a small boat when we

arrived, and coming on board mingled with the crew, successful-

ly avoiding any chances of being sent ashore again.

On the thirteenth we left for Santa Cruz, and King Nep-

tune welcomed his visitors with a stiff' breeze and a heavy sea,

to which many of them paid tribute by presenting the finny

inhabitants of the Sea King's domain with their breakfasts.

We arrived at about six o'clock in the evening of the same

day, and glad and thankful were these embryo sailors when

they heard the ponderous anchor fall and the music of the

cable rattling through the hawsehole.

They began to feel well and strong again as the scent of

the hay fields came to their nostrils, and challenged our boys

to a boat-race. We did not know what we were up against,

but for the sake of excitement accommodated them.

The distance to be pulled was about two miles from the

dock, out to and around the ship. One of the officers, Ensign

Dieffenbach, started the boats off and our crew stopped several

times to give the lads a chance, but as it was getting late and

their names were on the liberty list, they had to make short

work of it, so pulled over the course, around the ship, tossed

oars and came on board. The reserves came back later in the


A party for parade was landed, including regulars and

reserves, and according to press reports, all came off with flying


The carnival was very beautiful and picturesque. There

were fireworks, myriads of colored electric lights in various

artistic groups and designs, and hundreds of small boats dart-

ing about hither and thither, their numerous lights and

Chinese lanterns flashing on the sight with kaleidoscopic

variety. It gave one an impression of Venice at eventide.

Our stay at this delightful place was somewhat limited, as

it appeared as if we were continually in demand at the Navy

Yard, so on the 16th we steamed back to 'Frisco where we

arrived at about five P.M.

A few of the more venturesome and hardy of the reserve

went back with us, but the greater percentage of them preferred

the dangers of a trip by rail to the agonies of one by sea>

dreading the fearful mid de met'.

After leaving the ship the reserves sent several pieces to

the press giving their opinions of her sea-going qualities, and

offering several suggestions for the improvement of the Vessel

They represented almost every profession from Western as well as criticising the manners and, in particular, question-

Union messenger boy to Court stenographer, but their ing the honesty of one of the crew. It waa our gallant ship's

difference of standing made no material difference in their ' cook, " Nebraska Bijl," that was so unceremoniously written up

No comments:

Blog Archive