About Me

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
so salty pieces of coral from surfing Hawaii in the 60's and 70's getting reef pounded living in my body fall through my skin from time to time!

sailing to Oahu

Jimi Hendrix was playing on Oahu. I had never sailed. Surfed Mexico, California, Hawaii! Aw, how hard could it be to sail 90-110 miles from Kauai to Oahu? Piece of cake, right? Remember it was the 60's! This is so bad. We thought we were looking at Kaiena Point,Ohau, knowing we weren't going to make the concert! But at least we were in site of Oahu-wrong! Coy, who had never sailed before, me,who had never sailed before, jeff and Abbott etc. We were looking at the sleeping giant on Kauai! We had done three-sixty's in the night! We sailed on the only tri-marran I've ever sailed on ( except later ) in my life, missed the concert! It was at the Waikiki Shell Ampitheater ( Moon eclipsed . We finally made Nawilwili Harbor! The Skipper tried to give us his boat saying, " It's trying to kill me"! We watched him go stark raving mad not even realising that had we got caught in the channel current we were on our way to Japan! Remember it was the 60's and we were going to see Hendrix. I left out some of the good stuff but I will make up for it later!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Sailing; The Who And What For?

God I swear! I looked at the title (above) that came at me and I saw a history so vast and complex that I am not sure it wouldn't require volumnes and has/to even approach what has driven, compelled seaman for a myriad of reasons to go to sea and search horizons just beyond the curvature of the Earth in this quest for: Just maybe this is not the time to name drop. The Explorer Guys. The Warrior Guys. The Loyalty guys/for various countries and Queens or Kings.  I know it sounds like chess and yet it is and was,  The very cool thing about history is that it is/was written by more than one person from more than one country!  Make up your mind and choose the history you want to believe.  I recommend that you start with a premise that simply says three things. Or four!  I really want to believe would be your first premise.  The second would be , I'm sorry I doubt!  Now you are approaching diametric oppisition.  Ain't life grand? The third is I question because I can and so I challenge.  The fourth is I am ordered to sail with Magellan or Columbus and I have no choice.  So a few of you made it back from a sail or two.  Magellan didn't but Columbus discovered America without stepping foot on the continent!  Isn't history wonderful?  Ponce de da Leon didn't discover " The Fountain of Youth "' , in Florida either but don't tell the " Seminoles " , that.  otherwise when the " Cherokee " nation walked to Florida from Oklahoma they wern't going to find it either!  So is the " Trail of Tears" like the " Bataan March"?  Can you imagine being 15 years young and busted in London, England for stealing a loaf of bread and being sent to " Botany Bay" , ( Sydney, Aus) .  Or the 2nd son of a royal family, the non-inheiritor!  Sent to OZ to make your fortune!  What did the Aborigine think?  I know-Dreamtime!  So sailor's have done some shit to the world!  So what!!  This next four years will tell if we are going to survive as an island/country/whole Earth Family sailing through space as a ship with captain and crew!  Remember the island where a few rabbitts were left.  Without food they consumed each other to extinction!  They multiplied then divided!  Steady as she goes mate!!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive